Why on earth do shockingly bad songs make people rich?

I point to: Rebecca Black - Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0) as my prime example of this happening. I don't blame her for this, who wouldn't give it a go knowing how many things easily become viral on the internet? My main struggle is I just can't understand how something that is so barren of any lyrical depth or imagination can become a 25,000,000+ viewed video, plus be selling by the bucket load on iTunes? I genuinely think anyone with a few quid spare and a decent know-how of some sort of music recording technology can make a terrible yet 'catchy' song and become an overnight 'musical' sensation, setting themselves up financially for a good many years (or for life) if they go market it sensibly. This is very sad, considering that the parodies of these songs usually are more creative and deserve more credit than the original song! This may just sound like I am jealous, which is wide off the mark, I just can't fathom the logic of people who actively go out and purchase these songs and feed into this 'crap-song-economy'. There are way too many talented people who spend their whole lives creating music that is only ever enjoyed by a minimal number of people, yet some plucky teenager can make one terrible song and make more overnight than someone else in their whole entire life!

Anyway, that is just the world we live in where there are way too many more important and terrible things happening that make things like this more than irrelevant! So I shall stop here with my insignificant rant lol.

Tom

Comments

  1. yea you can thank shows like american idol for it just as much as the internet.

    its media in general... youtube videos spread across tv news networks even faster than online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A pizza made of win